Those first few days back at school before the students arrive are precious. We need time to collaborate with our colleagues and get back in gear. We also have required trainings and meetings we must attend.
For some, these days are filled with dread. Boring meetings that “could have been an email” or trainings that don’t meet our needs in the classroom.
But for others, these first few days are motivating, meaningful and even fun.
So what can we do to make Back to School professional development more inviting? And how can we incorporate teacher voice into the planning process?
During a recent #Ditchbook chat, moderated by Evan Mosier and Elizabeth McCartney, educators tackled these questions and more. They shared their thoughts along with tons of ideas for making the most of these in-service days.
Scroll down or click here for 12 engaging activities to rock your Back to School PD from the #Ditchbook community.
Looking for even MORE ideas? Check out these posts:
- OMG Becky. PD is Getting So Much Better!! by Jennifer Gonzalez
- The changing face of PD
- Transitioning back to the classroom
Want to get in on the next #DitchBook Twitter chat?
- They happen every Thursday at 7 p.m. Pacific / 8 p.m. Mountain / 9 p.m. Central / 10 p.m. Eastern.
- They often run for 30 minutes. Many times, moderators will offer bonus questions for those that want to continue chatting.
- Check out what’s happening on the #DitchBook Twitter chat by clicking here. (Even if you don’t have a Twitter account!)
- New to Twitter? Want to know the basics? Check out our Beginner’s Guide to Twitter for Educators free ebook.
- Want to sign up for Twitter? Here are the directions.
Having trouble? Still unclear on how a Twitter chat works? Feel free to tweet to these #DitchBook ambassadors and they’ll help — Karly Moura @karlymoura, Sean Fahey @seanjfahey, Sandy Otto @sandyrotto, Rachel Marker @rachelmarker, Evan Mosier @emosier3, Mandi Tolen @TTmomTT, Craig Klement @craigklement, Tara Martin @taramartinedu, Krista Harmsworth @zonie71, Anne Kamper @annekamper, Rayna Freedman @rlfreedm, Lance McClard @drmcclard, Stephanie DeMichele @sdemichele or David Platt @herrplatt!
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
- like Ditch That Textbook on Facebook
- follow @jmattmiller on Twitter
- check out the #DitchBook community on Twitter
- follow Ditch That Textbook on Pinterest
- subscribe to the Ditch That Textbook YouTube channel!
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
|Date||Event / Event Details||City / More Info|
04/28/2020||Montgomery County Intermediate Unit||Norristown, PA|
06/09/2020||North Alabama Technology Conference||Huntsville, AL|
06/10/2020||Blended Learning Conference||Sevierville, TN|
06/11/2020||Summer Digital Learn Conference||North Wilkesboro, NC|
06/12/2020—06/14/2020||DBC Pirate Con||San Diego, CA|
12/03/2020||Tennessee Educational Technology Association Conference||Murfreesboro, TN|