Warning! This post contains SO many great tips, tricks, links and ideas that you may end up with a case of “too many open tabs”. That’s OK, it’s totally normal. Using the Wakelet or OneTab extension can help alleviate some of the symptoms associated with this condition.
As educators, we have many amazing tech tools available to us. Everything from creation tools embedded into our students’ G Suite accounts to games we can create to use with our whole class.
But are we using these tools to their full potential?
The #Ditchbook community came together in an epic Thursday night “Tech Tip Smackdown” chat where they shared over 70 (yes 70!) tips for utilizing these powerful tools in your classroom. The conversation was STILL going on the next morning!
Participants shared fantastic tips for using your favorite edtech tools like:
- using Google Drawings as a digital bookshelf
- links for helping students annotate on Google Docs
- utilizing the new “pixelation” filter to create a “Who Am I?” game in Flipgrid
- creating a grid for each kiddo to monitor reading progress throughout the year
- using Kahoot to introduce a topic
- finding alternate ways to play Quizlet Live
- playing Kahoot to review current events
- …and SO many more!
Scroll down for tips for using G Suite, Flipgrid and Kahoot, Gimkit, Quizlet Live and Quizizz from the #Ditchbook community. Each collection has copy enabled so you can add it straight to your own Wakelet account! Also, be sure to check out the full chat curation with even MORE tips here.
- How to start a Quizlet Live game in 60 seconds + tips and tricks
- 30 Google Classroom tips every teacher must know
- 10 fantastic Google tips from the Google Teacher Tribe
- 10 Google Apps tips EVERY teacher should know
- 30+ digital escape rooms (plus tips and tools for creating your own)
- 10 Google Sheets tricks you (probably) don’t know about
- 40 innovative ideas for using Google Forms in your classroom
25 G Suite tips and tricks
15 tips for using Flipgrid in the classroom
20 helpful tips for playing Kahoot, Gimkit, Quizlet Live and Quizizz
Want to get in on the next #DitchBook Twitter chat?
- They happen every Thursday at 7 p.m. Pacific / 8 p.m. Mountain / 9 p.m. Central / 10 p.m. Eastern.
- They often run for 30 minutes. Many times, moderators will offer bonus questions for those that want to continue chatting.
- Check out what’s happening on the #DitchBook Twitter chat by clicking here. (Even if you don’t have a Twitter account!)
- New to Twitter? Want to know the basics? Check out our Beginner’s Guide to Twitter for Educators free ebook.
- Want to sign up for Twitter? Here are the directions.
Having trouble? Still unclear on how a Twitter chat works? Feel free to tweet to these #DitchBook ambassadors and they’ll help — Karly Moura @karlymoura, Sean Fahey @seanjfahey, Sandy Otto @sandyrotto, Rachel Marker @rachelmarker, Evan Mosier @emosier3, Mandi Tolen @TTmomTT, Craig Klement @craigklement, Tara Martin @taramartinedu, Krista Harmsworth @zonie71, Anne Kamper @annekamper, Rayna Freedman @rlfreedm, Lance McClard @drmcclard, Stephanie DeMichele @sdemichele or David Platt @herrplatt!
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
- like Ditch That Textbook on Facebook
- follow @jmattmiller on Twitter
- check out the #DitchBook community on Twitter
- follow Ditch That Textbook on Pinterest
- subscribe to the Ditch That Textbook YouTube channel!
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
|Date||Event / Event Details||City / More Info|
02/23/2020—02/26/2020||Pennsylvania Educational Technology Expo & Conference||Pittsburgh, PA|
03/04/2020—03/05/2020||North Carolina Technology in Education Society||Raleigh, NC|
03/10/2020||Utah Coalition for Educational Technology Conference||Provo, UT|
03/15/2020||Wisconsin Council for the Social Studies Conference||Madison, WI|
03/19/2020—03/20/2020||CUE Conference||Palm Springs, CA|
04/28/2020||Montgomery County Intermediate Unit||Norristown, PA|
06/09/2020||North Alabama Technology Conference||Huntsville, AL|
06/10/2020||Blended Learning Conference||Sevierville, TN|
06/11/2020||Summer Digital Learn Conference||North Wilkesboro, NC|
06/12/2020—06/14/2020||DBC Pirate Con||San Diego, CA|
12/03/2020||Tennessee Educational Technology Association Conference||Murfreesboro, TN|