If we think back to our very first year of teaching many of us wish we could have a do-over. The opportunity to take that first class back and teach them again after years of experience. But the truth is that those first years helped shape us into the educator we are today.
And we have learned so much.
So if you could go back in time what would you tell “first-year teacher” you? What do new teachers need to know about lesson planning, classroom management, and integrating technology? And how do new teachers balance that first new job with taking care of their personal wellbeing?
In our weekly Thursday night chat the #Ditchbook community tackled these questions as we shared our best tips and advice for our colleagues just starting this journey.
Scroll down for tips for tons of tips and advice for beginning educators. Also, be sure to check out the full chat curation here.
- Easy and effective: The Ditch That Textbook Lesson Planner
- Dear new teacher: Overwhelmed? 7 ideas to help
- 10 ideas for teachers new to teaching with tech
- Make It ‘Til Friday Podcast by Nate and Angie Ridgeway
- The New Teacher Checklist by Jennifer Gonzalez
- What I Wish I’d Known as a New Teacher by Elena Aguilar via Edutopia
Tips and advice for beginning educators
Want to get in on the next #DitchBook Twitter chat?
- They happen every Thursday at 7 p.m. Pacific / 8 p.m. Mountain / 9 p.m. Central / 10 p.m. Eastern.
- They often run for 30 minutes. Many times, moderators will offer bonus questions for those that want to continue chatting.
- Check out what’s happening on the #DitchBook Twitter chat by clicking here. (Even if you don’t have a Twitter account!)
- New to Twitter? Want to know the basics? Check out our Beginner’s Guide to Twitter for Educators free ebook.
- Want to sign up for Twitter? Here are the directions.
Having trouble? Still unclear on how a Twitter chat works? Feel free to tweet to these #DitchBook ambassadors and they’ll help — Karly Moura @karlymoura, Sean Fahey @seanjfahey, Sandy Otto @sandyrotto, Rachel Marker @rachelmarker, Evan Mosier @emosier3, Mandi Tolen @TTmomTT, Craig Klement @craigklement, Tara Martin @taramartinedu, Krista Harmsworth @zonie71, Anne Kamper @annekamper, Rayna Freedman @rlfreedm, Lance McClard @drmcclard, Stephanie DeMichele @sdemichele or David Platt @herrplatt!
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
- like Ditch That Textbook on Facebook
- follow @jmattmiller on Twitter
- check out the #DitchBook community on Twitter
- follow Ditch That Textbook on Pinterest
- subscribe to the Ditch That Textbook YouTube channel!
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
|Date||Event / Event Details||City / More Info|
04/28/2020||Montgomery County Intermediate Unit||Norristown, PA|
06/09/2020||North Alabama Technology Conference||Huntsville, AL|
06/10/2020||Blended Learning Conference||Sevierville, TN|
06/11/2020||Summer Digital Learn Conference||North Wilkesboro, NC|
06/12/2020—06/14/2020||DBC Pirate Con||San Diego, CA|
12/03/2020||Tennessee Educational Technology Association Conference||Murfreesboro, TN|