Art can bring out the kind of creativity and passion in our students that we can only dream about seeing in other subject areas. Art gives our students the opportunity to express themselves in new and different ways.
But oftentimes art is just an add-on, something that we throw in as an extra piece at the end of a lesson or as a stand-alone project for a holiday or parent event. We need to do more. We want to do more.
But how do we fit it all in?
It IS possible through arts integration. By infusing art into our other subject areas we can bring that same passion and creativity into math, science, social studies and language arts.
So how can we infuse art into our curriculum if we are not very artistic ourselves? And what technology resources are out there to help us bring art into our classrooms?
During our weekly #Ditchbook Twitter chat (Thursdays at 7 p.m. PST / 8 p.m. MST / 9 p.m. CST / 10 p.m. EST), we discussed these questions and more as educators shared their best ideas for infusing art into any class!
Scroll down to find loads of ideas, tips, and resources for integrating art into your curriculum. Also, be sure to check out this Wakelet collection to see the entire conversation.
Want to get in on the next #DitchBook Twitter chat?
- They happen every Thursday at 7 p.m. Pacific / 8 p.m. Mountain / 9 p.m. Central / 10 p.m. Eastern.
- They often run for 30 minutes. Many times, moderators will offer bonus questions for those that want to continue chatting.
- Check out what’s happening on the #DitchBook Twitter chat by clicking here. (Even if you don’t have a Twitter account!)
- New to Twitter? Want to know the basics? Check out our Beginner’s Guide to Twitter for Educators free ebook.
- Want to sign up for Twitter? Here are the directions.
Having trouble? Still unclear on how a Twitter chat works? Feel free to tweet to these #DitchBook ambassadors and they’ll help — Karly Moura @karlymoura, Sean Fahey @seanjfahey, Sandy Otto @sandyrotto, Rachel Marker @rachelmarker, Evan Mosier @emosier3, Mandi Tolen @TTmomTT, Craig Klement @craigklement, Tara Martin @taramartinedu, Krista Harmsworth @zonie71, Anne Kamper @annekamper, Rayna Freedman @rlfreedm, Lance McClard @drmcclard, Stephanie DeMichele @sdemichele or David Platt @herrplatt!
25 ways to infuse art into any class
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
- like Ditch That Textbook on Facebook
- follow @jmattmiller on Twitter
- check out the #DitchBook community on Twitter
- follow Ditch That Textbook on Pinterest
- subscribe to the Ditch That Textbook YouTube channel!
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
|Date||Event / Event Details||City / More Info|
04/28/2020||Montgomery County Intermediate Unit||Norristown, PA|
06/09/2020||North Alabama Technology Conference||Huntsville, AL|
06/10/2020||Blended Learning Conference||Sevierville, TN|
06/11/2020||Summer Digital Learn Conference||North Wilkesboro, NC|
06/12/2020—06/14/2020||DBC Pirate Con||San Diego, CA|
12/03/2020||Tennessee Educational Technology Association Conference||Murfreesboro, TN|